On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:20 PM, OrionWorks - Steven V Johnson <
svj.orionwo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> David sez:
>
> > Hi
> > On this page various UFO detectors can be bought? How do they work? What
> > mesurable disturbances are UFOs causing?
> > http://www.imagesco.com/ufo/ufo-detectors.html#ufo-02
> > David
>
> I would recommend purchasing the second article in the list, the one
> with the cool looking spiral fractal pattern.  Great conversation
> piece.

I won't by anything until I get an explanation about what is being measured.

It seems that they measure any changes to the earth magnetic field bigger
than some threshold.

I have ordered a three axis magnetometer but I don't know hat to build with
it. maybe I do a similar detector.

You can build a similar device yourself for less than $10 with a PC
interface over USB so you can get all data logged.
Buy a MSP430 microcontroller board for $4.30 incl. shipping from TI:
https://estore.ti.com/Search.aspx?detail=1&k=MSP-EXP430G2
and buy a 3-axis sensitive magnetometer at Digikey för $3.79:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=342-1082-1-ND

Put them together via I2C with some soldering and maybe some voltage level
adaptions and have the MSP430 send the data over USB to a PC that logs
everything and send the measured data to some site on Internet. This setup
is 10 times cheaper than the Imagesco stuff and better since everything is
logged.

If you can't detect a UFO with this device, which should be very unlikely,
you will likely be able to detect the expected big magnetic storms
originating from solar eruptions expected this and next year.

David