I must say that there is significant amount of metallic thermal
inertia, what is perhaps mostly in the thick metal boiler that can
withstand the steam pressures of several megapascals. 25 kg water
contains the most of the thermal mass, but in both respect this type
of E-Cat is different to others what were lightweight and did not
contain any stored liquid water due to percolator effect.

I made some calculations, we can assume that most of the metal is at
the same temperature as water. Also we know that there is liquid water
some 25 kg inside E-Cat. This means that liquid water stores the most
of the thermal mass, by 10 fold more than metallic materials. We also
know that when temperature was cut off, temperature declined 10°C in
35 minutes. This would indicate, becsuse temperature conducts very
fast through metals and in water there are fast convection due to
boiling, we can assume that there is no significant temperature
gradient inside E-Cat. Therefore the amount of heat what ΔT 10°C held
is straight forward to calculate to be 1.3 MJ. There should not be too
much room for margin of errors, if it is assumed metal mass to be 70
kg and water mass 25 kg.

However as we know that at 118°C about half of the water was boiled
and during the cool down phase temperature was always above 123, this
means that more than half of the inlet water was vaporized. That is
because only the steam backpressure does keep up the internal pressure
of E-Cat. If assumed conservatively that half of the water was
evaporated, then we need 7.5 MJ energy to explain slow decline of
temperature. As there is is no temperature gradients due to high
thermal conductivity of metals, therefore we can assume that 6.1 MJ
was definitive minimum requirement for excess heat production. But as
I have previously estimated that 60-80% of inlet water was needed to
vaporize in the temperatures above 123 to explain over 100 kPa steam
pressure, therefore proper estimation for required excess energy
during 35 minutes self-sustaining is 6.1MJ – 9.5MJ or 2.9kW – 4.5kW.

Indeed, excess heat during power cut off was required and thermal
inertia cannot explain it, because it can only provide ca. 1.3 MJ
energy and that cannot explain any steam production at all to support
.However high thermal inertia can explain, why there was not
observable bump in the graph when input power was cut off, but
temperature decline was smooth.

However more tricky question is when did cold fusion or fuel cell
process begin? We cannot find any kinks from the thermal graph that
would explain the temporal point when the excess heat kicked in and
overtook the electric resistor as primary heating source. This is very
baffling.

Here is the accurate temperature graph from input power and
temperature made by Akira Shirakawa from the data:

http://i.imgur.com/lU42G.png

Some corrections to my original message:

> This shows that Rossi can control and understands his reactor very
> well, because he can push E-Cat to the limits of the cooling power of
> water. If there had been any more heat production, it would have
> vaporized all the water and that means that there is nothing that
> cools down the reactor core.

This is not exactly true. Because new E-Cat operates in
self-sustaining cycles and there is large liquid water reservoir, peak
power can exceed well the water inflow rate. As Rossi suggested that
this cycle is electronically controlled that it probably means that if
water temperature rises above specific level, input power is cut off
and reactor cools down as long as it takes. And again when temperature
drops below certain temperature threshold, input power is activated
again, to boost cold fusion reactions. Therefore unlike I assumed, we
cannot keep total vaporization of inlet water as a ultimate limit that
cannot exceed, because this E-Cat version has large water boiler and
it is conventional BWR. Therefore 133 °C temperature may tell us, that
more than 100% of inlet water was vaporized. We do not know this,
since there was not done water trap experiment and steam sparging
calorimetry, in >130°C temperatures.

This will also mean that I need to extent upper limit for heating
power from 7kW up to 9 kW that exceeds water inflow rate. More
uncertainty, but this this time into good end, because lower limit
stays the same.

> That is because the pump pumps
> water with overpressure of 300 kPa (IIRC). If it needs to do work
> against up to 200 kPa steam overpressure, then flow rate should
> decrease inversely proportional to the heating power of E-Cat.

Peristaltic pump does pump water against 150 kPa pressure with 12
kg/h. This is very well in line with my analysis as when steam
pressure was high up to 200 kPa water inflow rate drop below 12 kg/h.
And was above 12 kg/h when there was not excess steam pressure. As we
do not know when water inflow rate was measured, therefore we cannot
establish exact relationship between water inflow rate and pressure.

–Jouni