On Sep 26, 2011, at 11:04 AM, Jed Rothwell wrote:

Horace Heffner <hheff...@mtaonline.net> wrote:

It is nice to see our views so closely aligned.

They are indeed.

I think running the steam and water through a condensing heat exchanger works very well, provided *all* the flow and temperature variables are recorded very frequently - more frequently than a bucket test would allow . . .

For practical purposes, I do not think it is a good idea to generate steam and water inside the machine. This erodes the pipes and pumps. Defkalion's method is much better. They use fluid that boils at a high temperatures and they leave it in liquid state. You can generate steam in the secondary loop.

Yes, much better and more stable.

When evaluating the device, I do not see any reason to measure the temperatures in the primary loop.

This depends highly on the feedback mechanism for the hot water, if there is one, and whether the ability to control input water temperature is needed. Rossi stated the hot water would be fed back to E-cat. The most stable way to do that would be to create an insulated reservoir, at room air pressure, and pump water from the reservoir as is done now. The reservoir would present a good probability of unmeasured heat loss. The varying temperature of the input water creates a varying load on the condenser. The most stable configuration would be to pump cold water into the E-cat and dump the primary loop water, measuring its heat content first though. A system of this kind, with feedback, would then have two inputs to measure: (M1) cold water into the E-cat and (M2) cold water into the heat exchanger secondary. The system would have two heat outputs: (M3) hot water out of the heat exchanger secondary, and (M4) hot water out of the heat exchanger primary, which could and probably would involve a substantial amount of power. The measuring stations Mi have to measure flow and temperature. Summing the two outputs would be essential if a clean curve of (nearly instantaneous) power out vs power in were desirable, or timely energy in vs energy out curves. Measuring all four heat flows provides a means to decouple the primary circuit output temperature (and pressure) from the E-cat input temperature (and pressure). Water storage in the E-cat itself need not be taken into account until the end of the run when cold water is used to run out the numbers for final total energy calculations.

It is feasible to build a calorimeter using only three measuring stations, and I think this approach might be especially good for the 1 MW E-cat. This is accomplished by eliminating the heat exchanger and simply merging the primary output and secondary input flows into a continuous sparging condenser, with a single output into one measuring station M3. The nice thing about this approach for the 1 MW E-cat is all that is needed for cooling is a 5 gal/min pump, some big hose, and a lake or river. Water to the input measuring station M1 could be pumped from any desired source. The output water could be dumped, or air cooled and recycled to the secondary input, with some recycled to the E-cat input reservoir. If a special coolant is used, or high pressure primary operation is desired, the four measuring station approach seems to me necessary to maintain control of the E-cat, and to avoid heat loss errors for the system as a whole.

As I said before, in a test to prove the thing is producing excess energy, I see no reason to generate steam at all. Why not just use hot water even if it is inefficient? Harry Veeder said that Rossi is devoting all of this time to steam tests. Perhaps he is but he can certainly spare a day to have someone do water tests. Since people will be in the lab taking up space and interfering with his work anyway, they might as well do a flowing water test.

Since the cooling solution is isolated from the catalyst it would be possible to use car coolant solution (antifreeze). There are pressure and temperature instability problems with recycling the fluid, but not nearly as much as with boiling water.

The principle expense I would expect is in accurate digitally interfaced flow meters. It is always good to have an independent method to confirm results and to provide confidence in control run calibrations.

Yes, this is essential.

[snip]

I think the temperature in such a bucket falls, or at least can fall, significantly, considering a delta T measurement is being made. The more accurate the delta T the longer the test and the bigger the delta T, but then the more error due to heat loss unless the bucket is insulated. Also, there is not just one calorimetry constant at higher temperatures. There is a calorimetry function by temperature (vs constant) due to nonlinear losses due to evaporation and radiation.

This is not difficult to determine. Mizuno and others do it the easy way. You fill the container with hot water at the peak temperature of the experiment. You leave the stirrer running and the data recorder collecting temperatures. Let it cool for an hour or two, until it is close to room temperature again, and you will see how much heat it loses at every temperature along the way. there is probably a complex set of variables controlling the exact rate at each temperature, depending upon stirring and other factors, but you can simply measure it and then plug in the values for each temperature ~5° apart.

Just thinking out loud a bit here. Yes I have measured temperature decline curves, as I noted in earlier discussions about bucket and barrel sparging. For example, page 9 ff in this reference is a sample experiment I did in Dec. 1997:

http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/BlueAEH.pdf

which shows some basic amateur calorimetry, including use of a post experiment temperature decline curve to estimate heat loss thorough the container walls, a technique which might be useful applied to a barrel calorimeter, though it is obviously best to insulate the barrel.

It would be feasible to do a polynomial regression on the data to obtain the decline function, integrate the polynomial, and enter the temperature range and time over which the sparging occurred into a programmed calculator. For longer term (barrel) sparging at variable rates it would be feasible to use the data acquisition software to integrate the heat loss.

Just babbling now.  Loss of sleep.

- Jed

Best regards,

Horace Heffner