I know Horace posted this just for the delightful prose; but, we must also
be fair to the movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1612774/

So, here is a review from someone who enjoyed it:

*Deep Tread Indeed in this Particular Tire*, 6 March 2011
[image: 10/10]
Author: jd7myers-1 <http://www.imdb.com/user/ur6355529/comments> from United
States

It was a rainy Sunday and I went looking for cheese, but found a savory
meal. Frankly, I was hoping to kill off a few brain cells in the mindless
fun of watching a movie about a killer tire. Expecting something along the
lines of Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, I wanted to drown myself in
delicious B-movie goodness. This coming from the man that cannot change the
channel when my remote calls up images of Joan Collins being eaten by giant
ants in Empire of the Ants.

Yet soon I realized that this film was so much more than horror spoof or a
silly gimmick film. The movie opens with a desert road randomly strewn with
simple wooden parsonage chairs facing in all directions. Next a car appears
and begins deliberately swerving into the chairs, breaking each one of them,
until it comes to a halt. At that point, a sheriff emerges (from out of the
trunk?!) and knocks on the driver door where he is handed a full glass of
water. The sheriff breaks the fourth wall and begins addressing the audience
by speaking of the "no reason" principle of famous movies like E.T., Love
Story and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. This narration immediately reminded me of
the criminologist from Rocky Horror Picture Show, and I suddenly did not
know what to expect from this movie.

I honestly think the less said about this film the better. Suffice it to say
that Rubber is one part B-movie schlock, one part David Lynch, and one part
Hitchcock. (Did I just actually go there?) On my first watching of the
movie, I appreciated its style. The camera angles, the homage to Psycho, the
riveting and unnerving sound track were somehow quite effective in producing
suspense. Quite remarkable when the serial tire is a generic tire!
Juxtaposed against this atmospheric cinematography was a very healthy dose
of absurdity and dark humor. This makes for an extremely interesting viewing
experience, where the audience switches abruptly from anticipation to
laughter to abject confusion.

The sheriff tells us that there is "no reason" for this film. What a deceit!
Because there is a reason for virtually everything – from the opening scene
of the destruction of chairs, to the irony of a Nascar race, to the well
placed remake of the song "Just Don't Want to be Lonely" to (yes!) the
turkey. Irony abounds even as our in character heroine proclaims that she
cannot read the lines of dialog because they are garbage.

The second time I watched this movie, I focused on its true theme. I
realized with delight that the movie is about movies and their audiences.
Pay very close attention to every scene with the bystanders on the road and
you will realize that the killer tire story is not the actual plot at all.
Also, on second viewing, you can revel in the brilliant personification of
the killer tire (Robert). A tire that learns, sleeps, recreates, dreams, and
even has flashbacks to his previous inanimate incarnation on an actual car.
Observe the film structure and use of the reflecting glass and incineration
scene as key catalysts. You will be amazed at all you missed when first
watching this movie.

Astonishingly, this became my favorite movie of 2011 so far. Lovers of film
should not miss this.


<end review>

A pox on you Horace as I have now added this movie to my Netflix queue and
will probably watch it.  But, then again, I did watch "Bubba Ho-tep".


T

Reply via email to