Alan J Fletcher wrote:

The radio24 pics show the heat exchanger outside. The "corrugated" section inside the eCat is part of its internal core-to-steam heat exchanger.
I don't get it. Please explain. Are there two heat exchangers?
One to condense the steam maybe?? I thought that's what the secondary loop exchanger does.

This is the pic Lewan posted : http://www.radio24.ilsole24ore.com/Foto/articoli/ecat071011-3.jpg "corrugated" I presumed (wrongly) that THAT was the heat exchanger between the primary (steam) and secondary (water) circuit

Okay I read the report again, and watched this video more carefully:

http://media.shootitlive.com/talentummedia/1/GruKSTyuBVhX8hi2ZTaKGPjV3Wq_768.mp4

This makes it easier to understand. The video inspires confidence.

There are definitely two heat exchangers, #1 for the water loop, and #2 inside the reactor.

1. The external one is a commercial heat exchanger that transfers heat from the steam to the secondary cooling water loop. After the test, Rossi removes the insulation and shows the equipment more clearly. He points to where the thermocouples are mounted. You can see them during the run but the position is more clear after the insulation is removed. The position of the thermocouples looks fine to me. No problem.

They are using a laboratory grade handheld dual thermocouple to measure the temperature difference, similar to this one: http://www.omega.com/pptst/HH11B.html. Cravens, I and others have purchased various models of these things and we have found them highly reliable. During the video the thermocouple indicates a 6°C Delta T.

As shown in the video, the water condensed from steam in the external heat exchanger is not recycled back into the cell. It goes out the hose into the drain. So it is not accounted for in the flow calorimetry. In the plans for this test, someone mentioned that the condensed water would be recycled back into the cell. This would reduce heat loss. I am sure that the condensed water is still quite hot. As I said, this is not detected by the flow calorimetry. It is not "recovered."

2. There is a "crinkly" internal heat exchanger inside the reactor. I do not understand what its purpose is. Lewan told me it transfers heat from the cell to the steam primary loop. Why do you need a heat exchanger for that? . . . The design of this thing baffles me. It is a mistake to jump to conclusions about a machine when you do not understand the design. Rossi is not good at doing demonstrations, but he sure does understand thermal engineering and he probably has a good reason for using the reactor heat exchanger.

Anyway, Lewan described the crinkly heat exchanger:

"After cooling down the E-cat, the insulation was eliminated and the casing was opened. Inside the casing metal flanges of a heat exchanger could be seen, an object measuring about 30 x 30 x 30 centimeters. The rest of the volume was empty space where water could be heated, entering through a valve at the bottom, and with a valve at the top where steam could come out.

Inside the [reactor] heat exchanger there supposedly was a layer of about 5 centimeters of shielding, and inside the shielding the reactor body, supposedly measuring 20 x 20 x 1 centimeters and containing three reactor chambers. . . ."

Unfortunately the reactor heat exchanger obscures the view of the equipment below it. I asked Lewan if he thinks there is room in there to hide something a battery or butane canister. He said no. He added that it would be very dangerous. There is very little room unaccounted for.