If that were the approach you would use graphite inductively heated to 3500
deg C in a graphite foil/foam insulated vacuum flask, add hydrogen to start
convective heat transfer.  Stores about 1.3kWh/kg and about 2.7kWh/liter, so
would need about 10 liters for 80MJ of latest demo.

Note I am sure this wasn't done, but would work better than iron