If they accounted for that, and if the GPS receivers accounted for relative motion to the GPS satellites, such that the observer hanging in space would see all GPS receivers showing the same time, then .... well ... I don't see how you can blame the GPS system for it, after all.

Hmmmm.

I didn't read it all that carefully, but the TR article did seem to be saying it was a problem with syncing with a single GPS satellite -- i.e., it was a problem with the GPS system's algorithm for syncing client clocks. (Maybe I should say "I didn't read it /sufficiently/ carefully"...)

On 11-10-14 03:11 PM, Daniel Rocha wrote:
They do take account of that.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Stephen A. Lawrence* <sa...@pobox.com <mailto:sa...@pobox.com>>
Date: 2011/10/14
Subject: Re: [Vo]:CERN clocks subatomic particles traveling faster than light
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com <mailto:vortex-l@eskimo.com>

On 11-10-14 02:53 PM, Daniel Rocha wrote:
As far as I know, each GPS device sycs with several different satellites, or clocks, at least 3, and also corrections for gravitational effects from general relativity.

That's not the point. The GPS system could be absolutely perfect and the problem would still exist.

The point is they're using a time value which is "universal". An observer hanging in space, stationary, directly over the pole, looking down at GPS receivers all over the Earth would see that, at a given moment, they /all showed the same time/ (modulo time zone changes).

/And that's wrong!/

If you time the speed of light using two clocks set that way, you'll find that it's anisotropic -- it's faster one way than the other. Note well: The observer hanging in space would say that the reason is that your start and end point were in motion, and the light had to travel farther one way than the other. An observer comoving with the Earth's surface, on the other hand, would say the two clocks were /not properly synced/ -- relativity of simultaneity was not properly accounted for in setting them.

In other words, if you sync your clocks using the GPS system, then you've automatically failed to take account of the motion of the Earth's surface.

Maybe their problem was more subtle than this, but it doesn't sound like it.