On Oct 18, 2011, at 10:36 AM, David Roberson wrote:

Rossi has stated that the energy released by the LENR reaction is in the form of moderate energy gamma rays(X-Rays?) These rays are converted into heat within the lead shielding and coolant. If this is true, heat to activate the core could be made to exit into the coolant to slow down the reaction. The actual temperature within the core section is perhaps 600(?) C degrees or more. You can find his statement within his journal if it is important to you. The 60 degree figure probably refers to the temperature of the water bath when the core reaches its starting value.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Welcome to vortex!

I am happy to see your spreadsheet made it through the vortex filter. Historically nothing made it through above 40KB without special processing by Bill Beaty himself. Your post with spreadsheet was 55.4 KB. Either a new limmit has been established or Bill Beaty is closely watching (the latter seems to me unlikely.)

The implications that gammas heat the lead and coolant do not make any sense. If they had the energy to make it out of the stainless steel fuel compartment used in prior tests, then they would have been readily detected by Celani's counter. This was discussed here in relation to my "Review of Travel report by Hanno Essén and Sven Kullander, 3 April 2011".

http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg51632.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg51644.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg51648.html

Excerpted below are the most relevant notes I made regarding the April 3, 2011 test:

FIG. 3 NOTES

It appears the heating chamber goes from the 34 cm to the 40 cm mark in length, not 35 cm to 40 cm as marked. Maybe the band heater extends beyond the end of the copper. It appears 5 cm is the length to be used for the heating chamber. Using the 50 mm diameter above, and 5 cm length we have heating chamber volume V:

   V = pi*(2.4 cm)^2*(5 cm) = 90 cm^3

If we use 46 mm for the internal diameter we obtain an internal volume of:

   V = pi*(2.4 cm)^2*(5 cm) = 83 cm^3

Judging from the scale of picture, determined by the ruler, the OD of the heating chamber appears to actually be 6.1 cm. The ID thus might be 5.7 cm. This gives:

   V = pi*(2.85 cm)^2*(5 cm) = 128 cm^3

The nickel container is stated to be about 50 cm^3, leaving 78 cm^3 volume in the heating chamber through which the water is heated.

If the Ni containing chamber is 50 cm^3, and 4.5 cm long, then its radius r is:

   r = sqrt(V/(Pi L) = sqrt((50 cm^3)/(Pi*(4.5 cm)) = 3.5 cm

total surface are S is:

S = 2*Pi*r^2 + 2*Pi*r*L = 2*Pi*(r^2+r*L) = 2*Pi*((3.5 cm)^2 + (3.5 cm)*(4.5 cm))

   S = 180 cm^2

The surface material is stainless steel.

HEAT FLOW THROUGH THE NICKEL CONTAINING STAINLESS STEEL COMPARTMENT

If the stainless steel compartment has a surface area of approximately S = 180 cm^2, as approximated above, and 4.39 kW heat flow through it occurred, as specified in the report, then the heat flow was (4390 W)/(180 cm^2) = 24.3 W/cm^2 = 2.4x10^5 W/m^2.

The thermal conductivity of stainless steel is 16 W/(m K). The compartment area is 180 cm^2 or 1.8x10^-2 m^2. If the wall thickness is 2 mm = 0.002 m, then the thermal resistance R of the compartment is:

   R = (0.002 m)/(16 W/(m K)*(1.8x10^-2 m^2) = 1.78 °C/W

Producing a heat flow of 4.39 kW, or 4390 W then requires a delta T given as:

   delta T = (1.78 °C/W) * (4390 W) = 7800 °C

The melting point of Ni is 1453°C. Even if the internal temperature of the chamber were 1000°C above water temperature then power out would be at best (1000°C)/(1.78 °C/W) = 561 W.

COMMENT ON GAMMAS

As I have shown, if the gamma energies are large, on the order of an MeV, a large portion of the gammas, on the order of 25%, will pass right through 2 cm of lead.

The lower the energy of the gammas, the more that make up a kW of gamma flux. Consider the following:

 Energy    Activity (in gammas per second) for 1 kW
--------   ----------
1.00 MeV   6.24x10^15
100  keV   6.24x10^16
10.0 keV   6.24x10^17

The absorption for low energy gammas is mostly photoelectic. The photoelectric mass attenuation coefficient (expressed in cm^2/gm) increases with decreasing gamma wavelength. Here are some approximations:

 Energy    mu (cm^2/gm)
--------   ----------
1.00 MeV   0.02
100  keV   1.0
10.0 keV   80

We can approximate the gamma absorption qualities of the subject E- cat as 2.3 cm of lead.

Given a source gamma intensity I0, surrounded by 2.3 cm of lead we have an activity:

   I = I0 * exp(-mu * rho * L)

where rho is the mass density, and L is the thickness. For lead rho = 11.34 gm/cm^3.

For 1 kW of MeV gammas we have:

I = (6.24x10^15 s^-1) * exp(-(0.02 cm^2/gm) * (11.34 gm/cm^3) * (2.3 cm))

   I = 3.7x10^15 s^-1

For 1 kW of 100 keV gammas we have:

I = (6.24x10^16 s^-1) * exp(-(1.0 cm^2/gm) * (11.34 gm/cm^3) * (2.3 cm))

   I = 2.9x10^5 s^-1

For 1 kW of 10 keV gammas we have:

I = (6.24x10^17 s^-1) * exp(-(0.80 cm^2/gm) * (11.34 gm/cm^3) * (2.3 cm))

   I = ~0 s^-1

So, we can see that gammas at 100 keV will be readily detectible, but much below that not so. However, it is also true that 0.2 cm of stainless will absorb the majority of the low energy gamma energy, so we are back essentially where we started, all the heat absorbed by the stainless, and even the catalyst itself, in the low energy range.

If the 2 mm of stainless is equivalent to 1 mm of lead, for 1 kW of 100 keV gammas we have:

I = (6.24x10^16 s^-1) * exp(-(1.0 cm^2/gm) * (11.34 gm/cm^3) * (0.1 cm))

   I = 2x10^16 s^-1

and an attenuation factor of (2x10^16 s^-1)/(6.24x10^16 s^-1) = 32%. Down near 10 keV all the gamma energy is captured in the stainless steel or in the nickel itself.

To support this hypothesis a p+Ni reaction set including all possibilities for all the Ni isotopes in the catalyst would have to be found that emitted gammas only in the approximately 50 kEV range or below, but well above 10 keV, and yet emitted these at a kW level. This seems very unlikely. If such were found, however, it would be a monumental discovery. And, it would be easily detectible at close range by NaI detectors, easily demonstrated scientifically.

SUBSEQUENT COMMENTS

... can anything said about the inside of the E-cat be believed? There are numerous self-inconsistencies in Rossi's statements, and behaviors. These things may be justifiable in Rossi's mind to protect his secrets. Whether justified or not, such things damage credibility.

One thing is for sure: if the E-cat is operated at significant pressure then 2 mm walls would be too thin at high temperatures. Also, there are other limits to surface steam generation I have not discussed, that take precedence at high power densities. One limiting factor is the ability of the catalyst and hydrogen to transfer heat to the walls of the stainless steel container, a process which would likely be mostly very small convection cell driven. Again, we know too little about the internals. Nothing much new about that. A heat transfer limit is reached if a stable vapor film is formed between the walls of the catalyst container and the water. The top of the catalyst container may be exposed to vapor, thereby increasing the thermal resistance, the effective surface area. At high heat transfer rates bubbles can limit transfer rates. It would be an interesting and challenging, though now probably meaningless, experiment to put 4 kW into a small stainless steel container under water and see what happens, see if the element burns out, etc.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/