Jed,
You have grown tiresome.
Leaving an anvil in a forge overnight was merely to overstate that it was at
full equilibrium. Despite what you may think, the core of an object does not
immediately reach the same temperaure as applied to its surface.  Have you ever
cooked a turkey, Jed?
I have personally repaired an anvil, and you heat it slowly to avoid destroying
its hardened characteristics - and you cool it overnight packed in vermiculite
to allow slow cooling.