David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

> Mary, you seem to love to find ways to scam scientific tests or do magic
> tricks or whatever.  Let me ask you a question.  Can you name one
> scientific experiment that is impossible to scam from the past?

The one I just cited, from the present, right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6AAhTw7RA

It is definitely levitating. No way that can be stage magic.

Here are some other examples from technology, not just benchtop lab
experiments. These things produced instant, irrefutable proof that they
were real, and anomalous by the standards of the past:

Magnetism

Storage of electricity in capacitors and batteries. You can feel it.

The fact that electricity triggers motion in frog's legs.

Guns and artillery

Photography

The demonstrations of the telegraph, telephone, phonograph, radio, and
television.

The incandescent light. You could tell it was not light from combustion.

The X-ray

The fact that x-rays cause biological harm and death. They discovered this
by accident soon after the discovery of the x-ray, when they killed a
patient.

The fact that radium produces heat beyond the limits of chemistry.

Airplanes flying above 100 feet or so (beyond ground effect)

A nuclear bomb test. Definitely not a chemical reaction -- the scale is
much too big from a device of that size.

The fact that the ENIAC computed at 300 operations per second and got the
right answer -- when it got any answer at all.

The fact that any computer is, in fact, computing very rapidly with
extraordinary precision compared to a person.

The fact that a computer disk actually does hold some amount of data,
megabytes or terabytes. I can easily demonstrate the capacity in a way that
would convince any mathematically literate person of the last 400 years.

The first demonstration of the transistor amplifier producing a sine wave

The fact that a laser is nothing like an ordinary beam of light. You can
tell at a glance that it does not spread out the way ordinary light does.

The fact that penicillin cures many grave, life threatening diseases,
including some that were incurable previously.

The launch of a rocket. You can see it has reached high altitudes.

In vitro fertilization. There is no such thing as an immaculate conception.
You can tell when a woman is pregnant and has a baby.

The fact that Dolly the sheep was cloned. You could tell by looking she
could not have come from her birth mother, and by examination of the DNA
that she was cloned.

Fleischmann's heat-after-death boil off experiment. Definitive visual proof
of heat far beyond the limits of chemistry.

I can come up with dozens more. Many breakthroughs are manifestly real, the
moment you see them. You do not need any instruments or blank runs. Rossi's
4-hour heat after death event is manifestly real. Like Fleischmann's boil
off, it cannot be faked. It is too simple. Some other cold fusion
experiments do require instruments, or they are on a small scale, and thus
could be faked.