On 11-11-28 04:45 AM, Aussie Guy E-Cat wrote:
Just after I read that Larsen thinks LENR reactions can occur inside Lithium Ion batteries I read this: http://www.rex.com.au/MediaRelease/Files/295_MR20111125%20-%20Mobile%20Phone%20Self%20Combustion.pdf Battery was reported as glowing Red hot.

AG

It's a common problem with Li batteries, and it doesn't require wild speculation about nuclear effects to explain it. In fact, it was *very* common before some production problems were solved. Don't you remember the exploding Macbooks?

Problem is Li batteries have very low internal resistance, so if something shorts it out, while it kills the battery, it doesn't go gentle into that good night. The energy is released too fast for that. Rather, it burns, vigorously.

One problem was steel splinters spalted off the rollers used in manufacturing the plates, which would end up inside the batteries. Everything was fine as long as the splinters were lying down. But sometimes, under the influence of the E field in the battery, the splinters would stand up, and if they shorted across the (*very* closely spaced) plates, poof! I think that was the Macbook problem.

Physical damage to an Li battery can do the same thing. This issue delayed their widespread use in cars, if I recall correctly -- there's this problem that the car may get into an accident, and if your (now damaged) batteries choose to release all their stored energy just after the impact, it can make everybody much sadder than they were simply as a result of the impact.

The ones commonly used these days are pretty resistant to this sort of problem but resistant doesn't equal immune.