On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In any case, it continues in self-sustaining mode far beyond the limits of
> chemistry,

Not more than a few per cent on *this* side of the limits of chemistry.

> and the energy used to reheat it is far less than the energy it produces
> continuously during the self-sustaining period.

I don't recall he ever actually went through a complete cycle: preheat,
self-sustain, reheat, self-sustain. The demos are all pre-heat and
"self-sustain" and then shut-down. And the energy used in the pre-heating
phase is comparable, if not more than that extracted during the
"self-sustain" phase.