Horace Heffner <hheff...@mtaonline.net> wrote:

> You kept the LENR flame visible and alive when many others worked to put
>> out the flame and to bury it in an unmarked grave that would never be found.
>>

> Many others have made efforts of similar magnitude, even risking their
> lives and health.  However, when all is said and done, I expect the
> creation and maintenance of LENR-CANR.org will prove to be the most
> important contribution to the field.

Perhaps. I hope so. But the point is, it did not call for any moral
courage. I have no standing in academia and nothing to lose. I sacrificed
nothing, other than money. Okay, lots of money. Other than that, it was
tedious work and some rudimentary programming.

People like Mallove and Mizuno made tremendous personal sacrifices. I would
not want to be compared to them. Gene went from a top academic career to
working in a warehouse at night to feed his family. Mizuno spent every yen
he ever earned on equipment. (He has the Japanese equivalent to Social
Security, and they have national health insurance.) He went without a
promotion for 20 years, and was still doing junior professor assignments at
the end.

Fleischmann and Pons had a terrible time. I think it traumatized Pons. It
did not bother Fleischmann as much because he is a tough, cynical person
who had nightmare experiences during WWII. The Gestapo beat his father to
death, and he himself barely escaped. He told me that he knew calling that
press conference would mean the end of his career. He knew he would
be vilified and ridiculed for the rest of his life. He went into it knowing
what would happen. That was an act of courage. But as he said, it was
nothing like running for you life at age 13.

Mind you, it gets his goat. Sheila Fleischmann told me he complains for
hours. Who wouldn't?