I sometime speculate that the electron and the proton are drops of a
mix of two electric fluids, which on balance have a corresponding net
negative or a net positive charge.

Another idea is that there is universal ambient electric fuild, and
the difference between the proton and the electron arises because they
contain more or less of this ambient fuild.
Harry