Dear Giovanni,

I am probably the one most responsible for your reticence or concern about
posting because I came down pretty hard on the trolls. and that probably has
a few of you concerned about getting the same kind of treatment.  *Please
forgive me*, that is not my intention for those who play by the rules - we
all want this to remain a friendly, respectful forum for discourse.  Your
posting was most appropriate and welcome!

The first thing that comes to mind about your posting, is item 2); that
somebody already thought of it.

That has happened with cold fusion. and I'm sorry that I'm not good with
names, perhaps Jed can help.

But there were two papers, one early 1900s, and one decades later (one was
by Paneth and Peters?) which stumbled upon what is thought to be CF/LENR.
however, these were experimental papers, not theoretical, IIRC.  But it was
considered some kind of anomaly  and never looked into. This is one of my
pet peeves!  That anomalous empirical data is many times forgotten and
explained away as experimental error. But isn't science supposed to be about
the unknown, and trying to better understand what we don't know.. Yet, there
really are some things that will ruin your career if you attempt to do
research on them! That is so anti-science, and yet, that is reality.

F&P, 1989, were the first to really study CF/LENR extensively.. for YEARS
before they come out with it. they knew it was going to cause a lot of
heartburn with their colleagues and especially the physics community.  And
it took guts to do what they did. and they paid dearly.

Keep thinking and questioning and posting.

Most Sincerely,

-Mark