Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:56:00 +0000
Subject: Re: [Vo]:DGT Screenshot
From: robert.gulliver.l...@gmail.com
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com

2000-6000psi hydrogen is pretty dangerous, be very careful about your design
and setup, make sure all your valves seals and fittings are able to withstand
those pressures, keep those valves, seals and fittings away from high
temperatures, and try to keep reactor vessel volume small.

I believe Rossi operates at about 25bar (350psi).  But that might just be the
cold loading pressure.  I am not sure if he used a pressure regulator on his
reactor to limit the pressure.  He probably did for the 1MW container, but
maybe not for some of his smaller demos (where I seem to remember that he
disconnected the hydrogen supply during the test).  Remember that (hopefully) a
lot of the hydrogen is loaded into the nickel, so the reactor pressure might
not rise as much as you think - it might even drop.  However for safety it is a
good idea to disconnect the hydrogen supply during the test and design assuming
3-4 times the loading pressure.

Your heating element does not need to be in the reactor - just put it inside a
tube that penetrates through the middle of the reactor.  The heater element
heats the tube and the tube heats the reactor without requiring any high
pressure-electrical feedthroughs.  You can measure reactor temperature the same
way, with a  thermocouple in a tube.  This is a standard industrial technique,
though it is slower to respond than having the thermocouple exposed directly to
the hydrogen in the reactor.

There are lots of easy ways to make a heating element, but easiest is buying
ceramic rod type cartridge heaters used in soldering irons off-the shelf for
<$20, these should be able to operate red-hot (>500°C)