It is theoretically very important to differentiate supply and demand. Almost
without exception theoretical discussion on economics revolves around the
supply side. People pay always attention that there are enough capital to make
new investments.

I think that this is wrong, but we should look more about the demand side of
the economic coin. I would say that it is far more important and especially it
is now, because supply side is expanding ever increasing pace, but consumers
has not enough purchasing power to meet the supply. Of course this has problem
that prices are dropping, but I think that the drop in price only drives
weakest manufacturers out of the market and those are winning, who can produce
with cheapest costs. And today it always means misusing cheap labour force in
developing countries.

Therefore I would say that it far more important to boost demand side as much
as possible. This gives the actors in the market better opportunities for
honest choice, where also quality and ethical foot print are also evaluated.
Not always the cheapest price is the best option for economic growth developing
new innovations.

Also when demand side is optimised, there is more room for different
competitors to push into market, because there are also more niches for
different producers. When cheapest price is the strongest denominator, there is
little room for competition, because the economy of scale will triumph the
market.

And more importantly, if demand side is high, supply side will always meet the
demand, because production and selling products is more profitable. Therefore
finding capital is not the problem.

And last, but certainly not the least argument is, that if there are too much
wealth used for investments, it goes without saying, that there are huge
amounts of misinvestments occurring. But if markets are controlled by demand
side, then probability for misinvestments is greatly reduced.That is mostly
because new entrepreneurs are starting with low capital, but they can quickly
accumulate capital by selling products into market that are rich in demand.
This gives successful enterprises huge potential for accumulating capital and
thus, they do not even need investors for supplying initial capital to the
company.

This free market economy side is often neglected although it is a polar
opposite to more commonly discussed capitalistic side of the economy.

We have very simple means to optimise the demand in the market. And up to
1970's United States had world's highest relative demand in the market. But
these days are now gone and demand side of the economy is ever decreasing and
Europe is rapidly catching America's, because here we have higher emphasis for
demand side. Although I think that this is a problem also here in Europe,
because demand is relatively shrinking, but not as rapidly.

    –Jouni

For reference, here is the well known and very scary graph how demand side has
fallen in the expense of supply side in USA:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28230378/family_income_median_income_growth_productivity1.png