________________________________
 Von: Jarold McWilliams <oldja...@hotmail.com>
An: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Gesendet: 22:07 Freitag, 17.Februar 2012
Betreff: Re: [Vo]:Simple Genius: This "Says it all!"

>I agree with you that science and technology is the most important for growth
>in society.  The only way to improve the economy is to improve science >and
>technology.  Average people...

Ahem.
The only way to  improve society is to improve societal skills and readjust
goals, eg what 'growth' exactly is/should be.
Science and technology are only tools.
'Average people' must be able to unterstand what is going on, else you get a
multi-tiered society, ranging from the know-nothings to the know-alls, with the
fraudsters in the middle.
The 'economy' in the conventional sense  is a normative setup, and not some
Platonic idea.

Scientists and engineers too often ignore that, because they are not
interested, or by their mental structure are incapable to see the big picture,
which is somehow tragic.
The technocracy movement  (see eg wikipedia)  in the 1930s had some take on
that, but seems long forgotten.

Amen.