Steven,

Video)
 there are plenty those two are a good power/features compromise:
http://www.kdenlive.org/features
http://www.kinodv.org/article/static/2

Web Authoring)
You need 3 things:
a) an editor
b) a web framework
c [optional]) a css + javascript framework

a) I would suggest to stay away from complex visual editors ala
frontpage any such tool put constraints on creativity and becomes
obsolete. Use your favorite editor and your browser to see the
results.  IMHO beter keep the effort of typing (i.e. the
typewriter/editor) distinct from the writing (i.e. the story you put
on the paper). Use the following site to learn and answer almost any
doubt about html+css+javascript:
http://w3schools.com

b) To answer this question you need to choose based on your favorite
programming language and/or programming skills.  You can stay away
from SQL in many frameworks.  Some hide any db complexity others do
not use a db at all. In the list below choose starting from the
language you know:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks

c) This is optional and is needed to manage nice presentational
features such as fancy menus, visual effects and recognition of user
device (pc, tablet, smartphone ecc ecc). The choice often depends on
b) i.e. some web frameworks impose you to use their own css+js and you
will eventually fight to make them work your way, while others do not
include anything, just plain html so you may need to find your
preference.  In the links below you will find that most support
generation of vectorial graphics.  If you are brave enough you can use
them to show realtime computation of your algorithms on users browser.

suggested:
http://www.developerdrive.com/2011/09/13-javascript-frameworks-that-can-make-you-a-better-web-developer/
more complete frameworks:
http://net.tutsplus.com/articles/web-roundups/20-javascript-frameworks-worth-checking-out/