There is another possibility which probably seems absurd from a
logical perspective.

What counts above all is the INTUITION that a perpetuum mobil is
impossible. All the formal concepts and laws of physics merely serve
to affirm the intuition. However, the laws and concepts do not prove
or replace the intuition. perhaps it is possible
to violate CoE in such a way that the intuition remains true, although
I admit it is a struggle to imagine how it can be logically possible
because it would involve NEW concepts of motion.

Harry