As long as LENR can't be patented there is no way for it to be really
> profitable. Three weeks after someone comes out with a working device the
> e-cat will be out of the bag and you'll have dealextreme.com selling
> disposable LENR devices for $10.00 inc delivery. While I'm sure a few
> million could be recouped by 'first mover' advantage, it's never going to
> provide the kind of killer profits that some might imagine. Great for
> humanity, but bad for business.

I must disagree on this point.  Screwdrivers, guitars and cars are not
patented, but money is made off of them.  The profit margins are not
excessive, but I would argue that the patent system is broken.  If a world
with less patent protection means inventors fail to disclose, that's
totally fine by me; they can do whatever they want.  There's always other
routes to profit, including the building up of a respected brand over the
long term through a focus on quality and utility.

Eric