friends,

this is just an idea I want to put into discussion.

The background is, that although LENR maybe proven, there is a gap between
theory and experiment.
Apart from the experiment-setup itself, we have the diagnostic tools.

Which are
a) in-process:
a1) nuclear particle detection
a2) He_x detection
a3) calorimetry

b) after process:
b1) microscopic surface analysis of the reactant
b2) analysis of possible transmutations, nanospire/LeClair maybe an extreme
case.

I see some difficulties in (a), although those give us realtime insight:
(a1): important, but maybe mainly absent
(a2): important, but difficult to detect, and often shifted to after-process
analysis.
(a3): difficult with small reactors, hence highly disputed.

So my idea:
i1) Use a 'dry' process, i.e. no fluids over the reactant.
Fluids blur the process and make it difficult to observe, and force using
debatable calorimetry.

i2) make the reactant flat mm2's up to cm2's
i3) observe the reactant via Thermal imaging.
T.I. is sensitive enough to monitor the surface with 10um2 pixel size.
See e.g. thermal imaging of power semiconductors, which every manufacturer does
on a routine basis.

What would be the advantage?
Well. Hopefully evident.
--real-time monitoring of heat-production, orders of magnitude better than
calorimetry.

--spatial resolution (eg gradual variations of material properties and their
response could be monitored)
--after-process analysis via SEM or other methods would profit from this
real-time-identification of hot spots, And hot spots there are, I'm quite
convinced. This is NOT a process, homogenous across the reactant.

This ofcourse does not make the hopefuls happy, who wish their e-cat could be
purchased next month.
But would narrow the gap between theory and experimental evidence/practice.
And we need that!
There is enough worry out there, that this is a potentially dangerous process
to require, that the theory-practice-gap should be closed. Relying on say
Rossi's statements or what some administrative branch says about safety, does
not make me feel comfortable.

What do You think?

Guenter