Its an old experiment.  Stern and Gerlich.

Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: mixent <mix...@bigpond.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Tue, May 22, 2012 11:06 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:This is how a 1 dimensional nanowire stores charge.

Hi,
[snip]
>Many delocalized electrons would orbit the diameter of the nano-tube in a
>cooper paired counter rotational spin up spin down couplet. The electron
>motion would be superconductive and the total excess charge would be
>proportional to the length of the nanotube.

I'm not sure that free electrons even have spin.
Consider the following and show me where I'm wrong. :)

Draw an ellipse on a piece of paper.
Cut it out.
Stick a pin through one of the foci.

The ellipse as a whole can be rotated about the pin. This is "l" (quantum
number).

The movement of the electron around the circumference of the ellipse is "s".

No closed orbit -> no "s".

If someone can find a reference to paper that shows the spin of free electrons
(i.e. not attached to atoms), I'd love to see it. :)

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk