Chemical Engineer <cheme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You mention projects that are advancing human civilization and many were
> great investments.  Are you OK spending billions on green projects that
> have 1/100th or less the energy density/potential of existing fossil fuels
> . . .

Which projects do you mean? I am not aware of anything like that.

The energy density of uranium fission plants is not as good as existing
fossil fuels, because uranium ore density is so low, but I still prefer
uranium reactors to coal-fired plants.

The power density of solar cells is low but as long as they are cheap it
does not matter. (Energy density is meaningless in a solar cell or wind
turbine; the energy will last for billions of years.) We are not running
out of space on the roofs of houses, or in the deserts of the southwest. A
solar array 100 miles to the side could generate all of energy in the U.S.,
and there are hundreds of miles of empty land in places like Arizona and
North Africa.

> Are you OK filling up the deserts with solar panels full of dust?.

Better than building more coal fired plants and filling people's lungs with
dust. It is not problem keeping the panels clean with robots. It does not
take much water or overhead.

Wind now supplies 2% of electricity. It could be increased to 20% with
today's distribution technology. That would displace half of coal fired
electricity. In North America, it would be way cheaper than adding that
much nuclear power (~100 reactors).

 I guess you would recommend a Billion Dollar DOE investment in Rossi's
> company at this point? maybe a GigaCAT?

Of course not. Anyway, Rossi will take any investment money from anyone. I
know several people with millions of dollars burning a hole in their
pockets. They are pounding on his door. He will not take one dollar from
them. He will not surrender any control over the product.