Jed,

Absolutely, flat mirrors have been used for thousands of years and full
length flat mirrors have been used for 400 years.  Mirrors are already mass
produced, just go to any Home Depot.  Google spent money two years ago
reseaching heliostats/solar thermal and dropped it.  They have not made any
new investments since in solar thermal.

If you look closely at heliostat technology you will see it is a flat
mirror, two stepper motors, a linear actuator, worm gear and a steel post.
 All those items are already mass produced.  You can download the solar
tracking software for free from NREL.  i have built one myself. The big
secret to the technology is THERE IS NO SECRET.  They are clunky, subject
to high wind shear & storm damage and hard to aim at longer distances.
 They also need expensive boilers and turbines which have been around for
100 years and miles and miles of underground control cable.  Also, think of
a utility scale boiler ramping up/down 500 times a year due to solar
cycles.  it is kinda like running the space shuttle through daily
reentries...

I am an engineer and unfortunately I have to think of these things.

For now, just place cheap distributed PV on rooftops until something better
comes along. Liquid metal battery electrical storage is on its way to even
out the cycles..

I will glady trade you 350,000 heliostats for a (working) 1 kW LENR reactor
(with recipe) and i will put you out of business in just a few years.

Half of our government billions are going into the fat cats pockets.  They
are spending more on Washington Lobbyists than R&D.

Oh well, maybe your herd of star wars desert mirror washing roombas from
irobot from can save the day.