From: Eric Walker
David Roberson wrote:

                All of this behavior is due to the effects of attraction
caused by the nonlinear inverse square law.  The material outside of the
galaxies thus appears to be repelled ever faster and stronger as the
distance increases.  I have long wondered if this effect is the root for the
expansion of the universe.   Instead of being some form of negative energy,
maybe it is just the reduction in the gravitational energy present within
the original mass distribution.

                I have also wondered about the theorized increasing rate of
expansion of the universe.  I have no reason to question it, in particular,
although I do find the dark matter and dark energy explanation an amazing
and miraculous one.

You may be onto something valid - with what we can call, in general: “power
law nonlinearity.” Overly simplified, we might opine that at some distance
we encounter a paradigm shift towards a different power law. For instance,
inverse cube would make the rate of expansion seem greater, since gravity is
becoming less of a restraint.

If you want to find the best argument for nonlinearity in inverse power
laws, such as when geometry changes fairly unexpectedly (into a paradigm
shift), look no further than Planck’s Law (or Theory), which is/was a proven
predictor of the relationship between frequency and emitted spectral energy
for blackbody radiation.

Max Planck, even 100 years ago suspected that his theory was breaking down
the smaller he went, but this was not easy to prove, and the later geniuses
who taught physics at University ignored his doubts and cast the whole thing
into a “law” since they did not want to teach “theory”, and since it worked
well enough. More recently, verification of the non-linearity in the power
law basis behind Planck has finally been reported at MIT, but Wiki still
calls it Planck’s Law instead of Max’s kludge.

http://www.physorg.com/news168101848.html

Planck’s law can be written in about a dozen different ways, with many
different variables, and has changed over time to “fix” problems, and is
considered an inverse fourth (or fifth for wavelength) power law down to the
dimensions that he was familiar with 100 years ago. We already know that at
nanometer geometry and ultraviolet wavelengths - it begins to fail, and
eventually is off by three orders of magnitude at the level of quantum dots.

Essentially what this means for LENR in particular is that there can be an
exponentially greater range of physical properties in particles of very
small size, which translates into forces that affect the nucleus and most
importantly – into much higher QM probabilities than expected. This is what
Ahern talks about with “energy localization” and is seen in the
Fermi-Pasta-Ulam nonlinearity in lattice oscillations.

But even more importantly, at least for this thread :-) could be the
shocking realization that if one of the most important “laws” in physics
breaks down at differing geometry – then going the other way (larger instead
of smaller) we may encounter the same kind of non-linearity in inverse power
laws.

Jones