Perhaps we, or more specifically, our gene pool, is considered
something akin to a game preserve by many species out yonder. Future
"selves" (containers?) occasionally coming back to sample the
indigenous DNA of their ancient ancestors. Such a hypothesis would
certainly make more sense as compared to ET's that evolved completely
independently from us trying to splice our genes into theirs.
Personally, I suspect there has been "contamination" going on for
millions of years. In the final analysis, we are all bastards, and
we're probably related to everyone. Welcome to the family!
Unfortunately, that includes the In Laws too. ;-)

Regarding ACC's CE, (Indeed, a great novel).  This, of course, goes to
the heart of what comprises a unique identity - a soul if you will. I
suspect older souls like ACC and Carl Jung inevitably become more
attuned to the illusion of the "self" and all the baggage associated
with it. Perhaps at first such revelations disturb them. They end up
writing novels and turgid scientific journals on the matter as a way
to confront their internal struggles. Later, I think most simply
accept the inevitability of it all. Life & Consciousness... Even if it
does transform to something else that is currently perceived as
unknown, it still goes on. We go on.

Do individual identities exist, or are "identities" nothing more than
an evolutionary construct that seems to have certain advantages over
the more instinctual "hive minded" approach. From an evolutionary POV,
it would seem that both approaches of awareness have their advantages
and disadvantages.

Do "I" exist? (Personally: "I" think not... therefore "I" am not!) I
am not "I". Perhaps I/we-all are observers who are playing with an
infinite number of "I's" on the planar field of the Universe.

I think a number of eastern approaches have got a much better handle
on such vexing matters. Western philosophies and our quaint relig'ns
are only now beginning to grasp the ramifications of what certain
eastern POVs managed to grok thousands of years ago.

My, oh my! Such a recent spat of OT discussions! ... about the nature
of consciousness. Makes my wet ware quiver! ;-)

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.zazzle.com/orionworks