It should be noted that in an electrolyte the current results from a chemical
reaction at the anode and cathode (in this case the generation of hydrogen and
oxygen) there are no free charge carriers in the solution itself.  The cations
and anions are bound together by electrostatic attraction and exist inside
cloud quasi organized solvent molecules.  Electrolyte ions do organize on the
surface of electrodes to screen the electric field at low potentials (most of
the voltage drop in an electrochemistry experiment happens within the first
nanometer of the electrode surface).  At the high fields quoted in the linked
paper, I cannot imagine how the electrolyte could screen the applied field.  It
seems reasonable to me that an electric field could exist inside the cell,
since electrolytes do not have free charges that can migrate to the surface of
the dielectric.
Electrolytes do not conduct electrons, they accept electrons and donate
electrons.  There are no charges flowing through the solution, just reactions
at the electrode surface.
Now I must get back to my electrodeposition experiment.