Here are my two cents from reading up on dielectrics:

With the 6000 V capacitor isolated from the electrolyte by the
plastic, the electrolyte acts as a dielectric which reduces the E
field in the electrolyte almost to zero in the middle  but increases
the the capacitance of the capacitor.

If there is zero ionic current then I assume there has to be zero E
field in the center of the electrolyte.  As soon as the 6000 V is
applied, there is a momentary current in the electrolyte and a
polarization of the dielectric electrolyte.  After that there is zero
current assuming the plastic is an infinite insulator.

So the positive ends of the water molecules are facing the negative
plate of the capacitor and the negative ends of the water molecules
are facing the positive plate of the capacitor.   Initially, positive
ions travel towards the negative plate and vice versa.  But as the
positive ions build up near the negative plate, they start to repel
any newly arriving positive ions and therefore there must be an
increasing positive ion concentration with decreasing distance from
the negative plate at steady state.

I'm not an electrochemist so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or
not quite correct.

you can see some details on dielectrics here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/dielec.html

http://www.physics.sjsu.edu/becker/physics51/capacitors.htm

I assume the water molecules nearest the electrodes feel the strongest
orientating E field compared to the center of the electrolyte.

I'm in the process of trying to replicate Randell Mills electricity
generating CIHT device which has a Lithium Bromide, Lithium Hydride
electrolyte.  Somehow Mills is creating electricity during the
production of hydrinos.  Should have it up and running in 2 months.
Details here:
http://zhydrogen.com/?page_id=620

Jeff