Jed,

I still disagree for several reasons:

-          200 years ago a medical doctor only had to read a few books to
assimilate all the knowledge there was at the time; that is impossible
today.  Science has generated such a wealth of knowledge in ALL areas that
specializations in each field of science are now too numerous to list.
Those kinds of advancements are not as 'visible' so the perception is that
we're not advancing any faster than hundreds of years ago.  The advancement
that has occurred has been in how quickly we expanded our KNOWLEDGE in all
fields and about more and more detail in those fields. not so much in how
that knowledge is applied to everyday life and the average person.

-          The process of evolution, whether occurring in nature or
religions or societies, is NOT a gradual, smooth process.  There are long
periods of stability interrupted by short periods of major changes. And I
think your example of chemistry/chemical engineering proves my point.  the
field of chemistry went thru a revolution with the discovery of the elements
and atoms, and then it was a gradual refinement and extension of those basic
tenets for hundreds of years.  That knowledge has resulted in chemical
engineering occurring in only the last 50 years), and material science and
nanotech in the last 20 years.

-          LENR is about to escalate that rate of change by an order of
magnitude.  LENR will be the next revolution that will cause major changes
in all aspects of physics/chemistry and society, whether we like it or not.

-          One of the determinants as to how advancement progresses is how
centralized the new thing is. can the average person implement it
themselves, or is the new thing inherently suited to a more 'centralized'
implementation.  If the latter (centralized), then its adoption will be much
slower since there is a dampening effect from the entrenched power structure
being resistant to change;  however, if it is able to be implemented by even
a small portion of the average population, and it provides significant
advantages (economic, environment, political, etc) to the centralized
alternative, so there is the incentive to the average person to bother with
it, then it will be adopted much faster and change will come about much
sooner.

-          Until the advent of the telegraph and radio, the spread of
knowledge was EXTREMELY SLOW. Communications across the Atlantic took
months, so two scientists debating their ideas on theories, or two engineers
discussing the design of a dam, consumed YEARS of time; now it happens in
SECONDS!

The question is:

Does LENR have significant advantages, and is it easily implemented by a
modestly technical person???

I think the answer to the first part is a no-brainer, but the answer to the
second part is uncertain, but the possibility is definitely there.

How much of a dampening affect the entrenched power centers will have in the
adoption of LENR will be determined mainly by how easily it is implemented
by a modestly techy person.  If I can do it, then I would build units for my
extended family, and show my neighbors how to build theirs.  So long as I'm
not selling it (i.e., engaging in commerce), I'm not violating patents.  I
am free to buy the equipment and build my own intel-clone processor if I
want, and use it for my PC, and I am not violating any patent rights.  But
the cost of the equipment is too large, and the regulatory burdens I would
need to go thru to not be violating any laws are so extreme, that it would
be foolish to do so when I can buy a processor for $200.

-Mark