A technical analysis at last!

On 2012-08-11 04:05, Robert Lynn wrote:
Looks like Rossi has invented a tube furnace,or bought one and coated it
in a refractory.

Yep, a very crude device. Makes you wonder about others', or maybe the opposite depending on your point of view.

Not a very convincing picture.  No visible connections for gas or other
fluids, no temperature sensors, just a couple of electrical supplies.
  Typically shoddy Rossi work, and again I ask myself is this deliberate
to create more uncertainty, or simply lazy?

This was posted by a *very* reliable inside source (probably one of Rossi's technical advisors - he has direct, first hand access to his devices, reports having disassembled them and performed measurements personally, including those of this high temperature E-Cat core) who never deliberately gave misinformation to his public. Although there's still the chance this could have happened, I think it's quite small. For what it's worth, Daniele Passerini confirms too the authenticity of this photo, having already seen similar ones privately some time ago. But you might probably not consider him a reliable source.

I thought it was a known fact that Rossi now uses hydrides instead of Hydrogen gas. Maybe my impression was wrong?

As for other [cooling] fluids, this is a bare reactor. Do you remember the first public Defkalion GT testing protocol? They were supposed to make the invited scientists test stripped down reactors, with no cooling other than optionally blown air. Same deal here, except there was probably no cooling performed when this photo was taken.

Temperatures, as the description reports, in this case are measured through laser thermometers and a thermal camera. So the visible electrical connections are all is needed to make this work.

Again, it's a very crude device. But if it's just supposed to make a lot of uncontrolled heat, it could be more than enough for the job.

Also unclear how this heat is being radiated away when there is only a
small hole for the heat to leave through, and from the colour it doesn't
look like it is over 1000°C (though photos can be deceptive the rest of
the environment around the picture looks quite normal).  From colour the
outer surface is quite obviously relatively cool, not 800°C - looks more
like <500°C. (I used to work with engine exhausts that ran in 500-1000°C
range, so have some experience of heat-colour, eg check out what looks
like a 950°C max exhaust:
http://www.strangecosmos.com/content/item/177605.html)

If you check this image, you can see that an arrow points to an area where the clay-like material is in part missing, and the underlying surface from the outer cylinder is literally red hot. This might be of help in assessing the outer surface temperature:

http://i.imgur.com/5IOPM.jpg

[...]
There are not many metals that will withstand operating at such high
temperatures, and not safely when exposed to hydrogen at pressure.  Not
pressure sealing sounds like rubbish, refractory sealants wont seal
metals at high temp due to differential thermal expansion.

I'm not sure there's hydrogen at pressure anymore as I previously mentioned. If Rossi is now using hydrides in the active material, there might be no need anymore for pressure sealing or high pressure resistance for the reactor walls (very important since working temperatures are quite high). But I'm not an expert in this area so I shouldn't really write much about it.

The mention of gas heating makes me very suspicious that this will be
his next method for hiding or confusing the results that he produces in
yet another unconvincing demo.

Rossi is basically saying that excess heat in his new E-Cat can be triggered by heat, something which Francesco Celani already experienced with his treated Ni-Cu-Mn wires, and documented in his latest report:

http://www.22passi.it/downloads/PresICCF17_NewA3A.pdf

More in detail, he mentions that "the reaction, apart some temperature threshold, has a positive feedback with increasing temperature". His demonstrative reactor is probably more similar to Rossi's E-Cat than it would seem.

Cheers,
S.A.