Le Aug 11, 2012 à 5:43 PM, mix...@bigpond.com a écrit :

>> "Ordinarily, the probability of the triple alpha process would be extremely
>> small. However, the beryllium-8 ground state has almost exactly the energy
>> of two alpha particles. In the second step, 8Be + 4He has almost exactly the
>> energy of an excited state of 12C. These resonances greatly increase the
>> probability that an incoming alpha particle will combine with beryllium-8 to
>> form carbon."
>>
>> Does anyone know what the modified probability would be?  I believe Rydberg
>> matter is matter that is in an excited state.  Would that be a factor?
>
> In what?

I was exploring a possible mechanism for the Papp engine.  If there is an
endothermic reaction to 8Be requiring a moderate input and an occasional
transition to 12C with a large yield whose probability is increased by the
resonance described in the paragraph, that might be one lead to be followed.  I
was also wondering whether the Rydberg state brought about by the plasma
confinement (assuming there is plasma and Rydberg matter) might factor into the
enhanced cross section for the 8Be + 4He -> 12C reaction.

> Furthermore, where does the 4He come from in LENR? (and why bother with this
> reaction if you are otherwise creating 4He anyway?)

I was assuming that the owner of the Papp engine would go to the store and buy
some He rather than try to make it by hand.  :)

Eric