Mixent sez:

> Is it just my imagination, or is Odyssey covered in Gold foil?

Your eyes do not deceive you. It's a very common NASA practice to wrap
space craft that will be orbiting close to the sun's influence with
gold "foil". In fact, if you look at photos of the original LEM, Lunar
Excursion Module, the craft that took astronauts like the late Neil
Armstrong to the surface of the moon back in 1969, its landing legs
were also wrapped in the same gold foil material. I'm gusssing the
product (the foil that is) is similar to a Mylar based product...,
kind of like plastic tin-foil, with a super thin sheet of gold "foil"
affixed to one side. I gataher the combination holds up well in the
vacuum of space and is very good a deflecting the sun's rays. I
suspect it's very light weight too.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com