Dave,

Yes, a lot of stationary random processes will result in arbitrarily large
deviations from the mean, given unlimited time.  I think the Fermi(-Ulam)
acceleration Ahern cites is different.  Given the proper system
parameters, acceleration can be certain and (almost) monotonically
increasing.

One particularly interesting case is given in -

"Phase Space Interpretation of Exponential Fermi Acceleration"
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1107.3509.pdf

- where a table of length 'L' is enclosed by elastic walls, and has a
rigid bar of length L/2 oscillating in a parallel motion parallel to the
long side of the table, while an elastic billiard ball 'B' bounces
chaotically, (pseudo-)randomly from the walls to the bar, i.e.,

|         /\                             |
|        /  \        ^                   |
|       /    \       |                   |

The ball 'B' will accelerate exponentially under certain circumstances.
The ball extracts energy from the bar in an apparent (but not real)
violation of the 2nd Law.

In the real world, something will break the acceleration.

-- Lou Pagnucco