Is ancient China included as being part of the west? A quick check of some basic history of ancient china seems to suggest that what I would consider to be the organisation of human labor was present going right back to the very earliest dynasties.

However, I would tend to think that so many things have now changed so much, that we cannot simply assume that any economic system that was appropriate in the past is necessarily right for the future.

Nigel