I haven't followed this story carefully, but a friend of mine (who has)
wrote the following:

"Uh, you should look into A123 Systems, who started it and what they did
before criticizing them.  These guys developed and improved the Lithium
Iron Phosphate battery chemistry while at MIT, then spun out a startup
company to commercialize their advances.  They were chosen by GM to
engineer and build the Volt batteries.  These guys aren't some fly by night
outfit who just blew smoke up some government officials asses to get that
loan.  They were a prime startup candidate and had already received many
millions of dollars in venture capital backing.  And they are being
purchased by Johnson Controls for $125 Million, they have assets of $460
Million and debts of $376 Million, plus patents in the battery technology
field.

It's disappointing to see stuff like this turned into a political football
for electioneering purposes.  And even more disappointing to see educated
people swallowing it whole..."

Jeff