Well said Jeff,

I have not followed it carefully, although Fisker Karma was major client
for A123 Systems, and it is assembled in Finland. Therefore it was reported
also in Finnish media. There was speculation that inadequate demand for
Fisker Karma was a contributor for the bankruptcy.

However i do not buy this excuse  I would speculate that the real reason
was that they started to do business with unfinished new product (Lithium
phosphate battery) and they just could not make the technology cost
effective. Therefore there was no point to continue, because it was not
likely that the company could become profitable.

Instead Tesla is trusting normal lithium ion batteries that have high
reliability. Currently market for laptop batteries is 100 times bigger than
for EV-batteries. Tesla's chosen strategy to use cheap and reliable laptop
batteries was superior business idea. As Tesla manufactures own battery
packs, they have pushed the cost already down to $600 per kWh and Elon Musk
claims that they can still further push down the price.

$600 per kWh is already starting to be price level that EV can bring better
price performance than combustion engine in cars for higher middle class.
If Elon can push the price to near $300 per kWh, then it would mean that
Elon can sell every car that he can manufacture. Because already the
performance of Tesla Model S is superior to that of combustion engine cars.
Actually Model S performance is already similar than BMW M5. Both Model S
and M5 cost around $100 000. M5 is slightly faster, but on the other hand,
Model S accelerates better at parking lot! And probably Model S is
cornering faster because of ideal center of gravity.

—Jouni