Nice reference Alan,

Yes, I also encourage the basement experimentalist to be-careful with these
experiments.   The boranes (ie. B_x  H_y) can be  toxic, and even
explosive.  B2H4 is rocket fuel.  Throw sodium in the mix, hydrogen and
oxygen, Its like lighting a match.  Chemically.  I ran these types of
experiments for a couple of years and never had any problems.    That is
the way I would treat it.  It's not something you would do in you high
school chemistry class, but don't be concerned if a high-school-er does it
(at low voltage!).

Certainly have a Geiger counter handy for the heck of it.  Storms has it
right.   A long period of Geiger counter readings should expose the
phenomena.  What looks like a slight rise or fall certainly could be a low
level fusion signature.