From: a.ashfield <a.ashfi...@verizon.net>
To: vortex-L <vortex-L@eskimo.com>
Sent: Mon, Oct 29, 2012 2:28 pm
Subject: [Vo]:A Halloween scare for real

Budgerigars have tetrachromatic color vision      and one named      Puck had a
vocabulary of 1728 words.       They obviously don’t have the brain power or
incentive to      develop      science or “civilization” but they are sentient.

The difference between sentience and      intelligence seems      blurred.   I
have long      advocated that a      good route to AI would be to construct a
simple conscious robot.  That is to say, one that      contained a 3D image
 of itself and its immediate environment, with all the usual      sensors, and
that      was programmed to explore and learn.   I      think this is the
essence of consciousness.

Then it could set about learning in much the      same way as a      child.
This could be speeded up by      preloading data      such as a dictionary,
rules of grammar and the ability to talk,      together with basic
engineering and science.   Access      to the      internet would be a mixed
blessing until judgment was developed.

Taking a more evolutionary route than top down      programming.   The key
being the internal image of itself and whatever “desires” were      programmed
in.  I visualize      a secondary image under the      control of the robot in
which the computer could make and move its      own 3D      images of objects.
This      would be a      decided advantage over human intelligence.       Much
easier to write this than the program of course.