I shot a little video of my latest experiment with borax.  It is controlled
with an Android phone, IOIO microcontroller, and relay bank.  I am
switching back and forth between AC and DC current supplies.  Pardon the
mess of wires as I am early in the process.  It is interesting how the
electrolyte turns a copper brown color.  That was after running 1 1/2 days
on DC current at 5 to 13 watts.  I'm using the same 8 nickels on the
thoriated tungsten rod as a cathode and 4 stainless steel washers as the
anode.  There is more heating and almost no bubbles on AC.  I'm not sure
what brown color is about.  I've seen this repeatedly.

What I'm interested to try is to see the max temperature achieved by AC
alone, then DC alone, and then AC and DC alternating for different periods
of time.

http://youtu.be/sH90M85S2mE

Regards,
Jack