>From the references Alain posted earlier in the thread, it looks like
conformity trumps everything.  It must be in our genes - dissidents are
probably at a Darwinian disadvantage.  Violating the pecking order is a
career-ender, for sure.

The case of Stanley Ovshinsky, inventor of amorphous semiconductors is
instructive -

"In 1960, he and his beloved second wife, Iris, scraped together some
savings and started a business called Energy Conversion Devices. Mr.
Ovshinsky soon created a stir by asserting that everything science knew
about semiconductors was wrong. The scientific establishment ignored him,
or wrote him off with scathing contempt.
Finally, a renowned physicist at MIT tested his theory. Stunned, the
physicist proclaimed that Mr. Ovshinsky was right."

http://www.toledoblade.com/JackLessenberry/2012/10/26/How-Stan-Ovshinsky-left-the-world-a-better-place.html

- fortunately someone actually tested his theory.

It is really discouraging how many science writers quickly joined the
anti-LENR/CF feeding frenzy by essentially only dutifully parroting the
establishment line.  BTW, regurgitating the establishment party-line
seems to be the exclusive modus operandi of political journalists now,
so maybe physics is not so different.

-- Lou Pagnucco