interesting you quote semiconductors, because LENr and semiconductors look
very similar in behavior, and in quantum nature. Mess in the lattice.
unreliable components at the beginning. ignored results at the beginning,
assumed experimental errors discarded

My school was training us to make a MsC in microelectronics, but i choose
parallel and distributed IT...
this is why I found in 92-93 a big archive on pre-web internet FTP site,
with abstract about cold fusion (don't remember how I fall on that).
I have no prejudice of Cf since I did not heard of it before.
After printing a thousand pages and reading the abstracts, It got clear :
- that there was interesting results
- that the critics have no substance, or have been addressed since long.
- that it was respecting physics, TD laws, and probably standard QM, yet
absolutely no theory was credible (there was very few)

for the rest i'm very conservative about science, about QM, TD laws, abuse
of modeling (guess why), abuse of theoretical arguments, abuse of
consensus, abuse of politics...

This is why I don't understand why CF is rejected, and not many
stupidities, false consensus, false alerts, that pollute the science
landscape and the media...
and French SciAm even a little...