On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM, OrionWorks - Steven V Johnson
<svj.orionwo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Incidentally, I noticed that when Carl Sagan became acutely aware of
> his own approaching mortality, it seemed to me that his willingness to
> speculate on topics previously considered taboo became much more
> relaxed. When one is no longer concerned about appeasing the
> establishment, or securing grant money and what-not...what can they do
> to me... kill me?

Yeah.  You know what they say, "There are no atheists in the foxhole."
 Sagan fought  myelodysplasia for years finally succumbing to
pneumonia.  I watched his wasting and his change in attitude.

Like Mulder's poster said, "I want to believe."