As I expect I have made clear, I am fascinated by public opinion polls.
Even though this is off-topic, here is another interesting historical note
about the subject.

My late mother was something of an expert in polls. She was director of
public opinion research at the US Census Bureau.

Everyone familiar with polling history knows that the 1948 presidential
election was miscalled by every pollster. People often point to this even
today when they wish to discredit or downplay the significance of modern
polling. They say, "you never know who's going to win because look at 1948
and the famous newspaper photo of Truman holding a newspaper saying 'Dewey
defeats Truman.'"

My mother was beginning her postwar professional career in 1948, after
World War II work with the Army and others. See Public Opinion Quarterly,
Vol. 33, No. 3, Autumn, 1969:

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2747532?uid=3739896&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21101260869333

Anyway, regarding 1948 she said: "Believe me, nothing like that will ever
happen again. The pollsters learned their lesson."

In business we would say that was a "wake-up call." It was like Ford's
mismarketing of the Edsel. It became the foundation of modern poll taking.
So don't imagine that pollsters are guessing or that they might be wrong by
5% or 10%. People are unpredictable individually, and their individual fate
is unknowable. But, taken *en mass* you can make reliable predictions about
people. With polls and actuarial tables we can characterize groups of
people. That is why life insurance companies make a profit. You may find
that depressing but it is a fact.

Comparing modern methods to the techniques used in 1948 comparing an
estimate made with a slide rule versus a supercomputer. That is literally
true. People used slide rules back then. My mother liked them and used them
to the end of her life. She said they were good for your mind because you
had to remember where the decimal point is. That kept you on your toes.
Plus, the fact that they worked was a good reminder that numbers are seldom
significant beyond two or three digits anyway so why worry about precision?

Accuracy matters. Precision, not so much. If you don't know the difference
please don't write science papers.