Despite the "thinness" of the evidence and the ever-present contamination
concerns, my gut tells me the LENR community would benefit from more focus
on transmutation results. For one simple reason: transmutation results are
persistent, while excess heat is ephemeral and easier to wish away. And
frankly, across the history of CF/LENR, has been easy to get wrong
(numerous examples).

On the other hand, if these results can be confirmed and understood, it is
very likely that the underlying reaction will turn out to be exothermic. So
this approach offers a way to reach to the desired outcome (controllable,
cheap, clean energy) by a "back door" discovery path.

It's just a gut feel. I can't defend it any better than that. But I believe
it.

Jeff