OrionWorks - Steven Vincent Johnson <orionwo...@charter.net> wrote:

> > it would be interesting to track the position of one bird within the
> flock.
>
> Yes, it would! I suspect technology is advanced and miniaturized enough
> that
> we could easily fit locator chips on several starlings. Start collecting
> data.

Ah. I think a high-res telescopic camera video of the flock and a computer
to follow the individual birds might work better. You can examine the paths
many different birds in one take. It would hard for a person to keep track
of which is which. It would be tedious following an individual bird from
frame to frame. Perhaps software could do it better than a person.