At 04:01 PM 12/12/2012, mix...@bigpond.com wrote:
07:47:21 -0600:
Hi,

The point I have been trying to make, is that no telepathy is required for this,
just sharp eyes and a sense of self preservation.

Just millions of years of evolution. Humans do something with "culture" which also evolves.

I don't know that the birds have a "sense of self preservation." They just do what they do, and what they do is conditioned by genetics (this is probably not learned behavior), and that has an *effect* of genetic preservation.

The birds react to an incoming object, and they are sensitive to each other's movements, obviously.

Human beings can display some similar traits, and it can be eerily like telepathy. Essentially, when we do this, it's *like* mindreading, it can be mindblowing for those who haven't encountered it.

There is an exercise I saw at a Landmark Education Communications Course introduction. It's called the "Colors Exercise." People work in pairs. One of the pair says, "at random," -- it isn't random, of course, but that's the instruction -- the name of a color, Red, Yellow, Blue, Green. The job of the other person is just to echo that back. So this starts out as "Red, Red, Green, Green, Blue, Blue," etc., or the like with the initiator being followed by the imitating partner.

The same excercise was done in a Relationships seminar. And every time I've seen this done, this is what happens: the two people, after a time, start saying the name of the color together, with high accuracy. That is *not* the instruction, it just happens.

*Try* to do it, if the trying involves predictive thinking, conscious pattern recognition, it doesn't work very well! It just happens.

Great minds think alike, could be the saying, but, of course, this is just the ordinary human mind! We can "think alike," in unexpected ways. My own theory is that the intense visual concentration that accompanies this exercise, people are sitting face-to-face, watching each other, leads to an "entrainment" of the two mental processes, through observation of much more than what is said. The movements of eyes, the fine-muscle movements of the face, lead to something that I'd call "presence." It's not "individual," it is collective.