OrionWorks - Steven V Johnson <svj.orionwo...@gmail.com> wrote:

I gather “chan.fusion” is accusing Mr. Rothwell of using the lenr-canr
> website specifically for the purposes of a tax dodge.

I missed that. This would be the world's worst tax dodge, since it costs me
a lot more than I can reduce in taxes in the best case. This would make
about as much sense as the facetious "two for one" lottery, where every $2
ticket automatically wins $1.

As it happens, the IRS audited me years ago. A nice woman there explained
what records I need to keep, and so on. The IRS does not care about the
nature of a business. I expect you could actually run a business evaluating
massage parlors. As long as you record expenses correctly and people pay
you for the information, it is a business.

The only problem I face is when I make no income at all. The IRS says that
is a hobby.

I think that editing papers and maintaining a web site would be the world's
most boring hobby.