Defkalion actually alters the crystalline structure.  Cracks do not
appear to be the issue in their reaction.  They have found a secret in
altering the crystal structure to increase the reaction.  I'll bet
that the reactions occur at the surface still.

Note that Defkalion uses nickel foam, not powder.