On Dec 17, 2012, at 6:46 AM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <a...@lomaxdesign.com> wrote:

>> There is also radiation hazard in orbital habitats.
>
> Probably the biggest problem. Radiation shielding has been part of space
> colony proposals.

Actually radiation shielding is simpler than what is previously thought,
because Near Earth Asteroids contains lots of rubble that serves well as
radiation shield.

> You want to build in a place it is easy to travel from. Easy to get to any
> destination from earth orbit. Hard to get to earth orbit from Earth. Hard
> from Venus.

If we are to build colony for millions of people, I would guess that getting
back from there is not important. People who move into Venus will stay there.

In Venus there should be room for hundreds of billions of people in a long
term. In Earth we are struggling with few billion (western) people, if there is
not going to happen breakthrough in clean energy production. Solar electricity
might get cheap enough also here on Earth to support civilization, but many
people do not believe that the cost of PV cells will be halved every eight
years ad infinitum. I believe that they do, but I will not give you any proofs.

However, today energy production is utterly unsustainable, because energy
production is based on fossil fuels and very unstable nuclear power. Therefore
there is urge to migrate into Venus, where there is abundant energy resources.

> Once in space, you can use solar sails to move even very large mass, all you
> need is some patience.

Modern ion engines are as good as solar sails. Such as well served Hall
thrusters. There are also few promising concepts in drawing board. NEAs have
plenty of hydrogen for ion propulsion purposes so it is not required to lift
from Earth.

> Hope was, eventually, to build a space elevator.

Earth bound space elevator is not good idea, because reusable rockets are
cheaper to operate than space elevator. Also the development costs of
reusability are lower and there is no need for qualitative breakthroughs in
basic material science. And we do not have any means to estimate the safety
aspects of space elevator.

However in Moon we have possibility to construct space elevator in 2018,
because it is possible within existing technology and it will cost only few
billion dollars, including development costs. That is less than Curiosity rover!

I would predict that space elevator even in moon will get obsolete in 2030's
due to reusable space crafts and orbital refueling. But my estimation is that
there is at least 10+ year window while space elevator in moon is profitable.

> For humans to live in space, the biggest expense is lifting *hydrogen*.
> Oxygen is readily available on the moon, as oxides. Hydrogen is scarce in
> space.

Problem with moon is that there very little gravity. Orbital habitats are
better, because artificial gravity could be more confortable. We do not even
know how well human body will adapt into Mercury and Mars ⅓-gravity, but I
would guess that well enough, as I am going to book one way ticket to Mars in
2013.

However hydrogen is abundant. There is huge amounts of water-ice in Mercury and
C-type Near Earth Asteroids and sufficient amounts of water ice in the moon.
Basic specs for 1200 ton C-type NEAs: transportation cost to high lunar orbit
(Δv 100-500 m/s) are 2 billion dollars (or less if Falcon Heavy will be as
cheap as promised) and that will contain ca. 200 tons of water and 200 tons
other volatiles such as nitrogen and carbon compounds.

This is kind a silly, but there are billions of small (<1200 tons) bodies near
Earth that can be harvested as a resource. People just did not realize this
before because we cannot see them. Currently orbits are calculated only for few
dozen NEAs, but none of them are observed accurately enough that we could
estimate the mass or type of NEAs.

Hydrogen was thought to be scarce resource in space, because it was not found
until recently. Therefore it has not made into scifi visions.

Why Venus is ignored in all scifi visions is just something that I cannot
understand. Even floating city in Star Wars relied on antigravity technology
although it would be easy to float e.g. in Saturn where temperature, gravity
and pressure are in goldilocks zone. Using hot hydrogen balloons for floating
in Saturn is not anyway futuristic technology!

—Jouni